Australia 2000 Travel was always devoted to its clientele – whether it was travel to Australia or educating its client regarding its rich history, culture or nature. Tickling your interest in the country was always our top priority, and we hope that the following article does that as well.
Australia is known world- and web-wide for its many poisonous and deadly animals. However, did you know that very few people actually die because of them? That is why Aussies are very well informed regarding any venomous critters in the area. If you plan to travel to Australia, you’d do well to keep these animals in mind.
The Most Venomous Creatures of Australia
The box jellyfish. This is supposedly one of the most poisonous beings in existence. It is nearly completely translucent, it has extremely long tentacles that are invisible to the eye. Its sting can completely paralyze a human being (leading to drowning or respiratory failure). What’s worse, alcohol rubbed on stinged place makes the symptoms worse, as well as rubbing. If you get stung and get out of the water, pour (don’t rub) vinegar and seek immediate medical attention.
The blue-ringed octopus. This beautiful amphibian has enough toxin to kill two dozen full grown humans. It has the exact same toxin in its body as the famous fugu fish. Octopus is rather small, and its bite is relatively painless, which is why people generally don’t realize that they have been poisoned. Fortunately, it seldom attacks humans (no known deaths since 1960s).
The cone snail. This sneaky thing launches a barbed harpoon-like projectiles into its victim, which has enough venom to kill ten people. Fortunately, only one death is recorded so far. Don’t go and pick up colorful shells unless you are certain that they are empty.
The bluebottle; or the Portugese man-o’-war. Call them what you want, these organisms aren’t true jellyfish, even if they look like it. It is actually a collection of smaller organisms (called zooids) that cannot survive independently of one another. Bluebottle’s stings are painful, especially if the venom reaches the lymph nodes. Fortunately, they are rarely fatal.
The stonefish. Stepping on the stonefish is said to cause the most severe pain a human being can possibly feel. It can also be fatal, but the situation can be remedied with antivenom, vinegar and especially hot water applied to the affected spot.
The bull ant. This pesky little critter has a sting that doesn’t break off like honeybee’s; if you’re stung by an ant, the odds are that you will be repeatedly stung by the same ant. Avoid their nests and you will be fine.
Should You Visit? Absolutely!
Don’t let this list scare you. Australia is well known for its poisonous animals, but they are well under control, and most Aussies know a good remedy in the case ill-fated encounter occurs. So why not hop in for a visit? Enjoy our beaches, enjoy our hospitality, or if you’re into something more mundane, maybe you’re better off with http://www.online-lottery.com/israel-new-lotto/results; you never know what might happen!